Tuesday, February 26, 2013

An explanation

Welcome to the blog, and let's get this out of the way. You're probably wondering about the blog name and what it means. L'esprit d'escalier is a French term for a common phenomenon we all experience. The literal translation is "staircase wit" and it is the frustrating moment when you think of a witty response to someone after the situation has passed. I feel like I'm an incredibly witty person but sometimes I am so dumbfounded by the things people say aloud that I cannot formulate a great response. As soon as they leave the room it hits me and I spend hours agonizing over the great responses that I should have used.

"I can think of hard, tough, one-line put-downs, but only after the person concerned has left the room. (NB: this affliction, esprit de l'escalier, is one of the principal reasons why people become writers.)" Simon Barnes; Glitzy Game Gets Line Not Length All Wrong; The Times (London, UK); Jun 13, 2003. (Retrieved from http://wordsmith.org/words/esprit_d_escalier.html)


This blog will be full of my random musings and, more than likely, end up as a compilation of delicious (or flop) recipes I make and restaurants at which I eat. I just started doing menu planning and adventuring with scary vegetables, so I will be trying a lot of new recipes! Also, the blogosphere sounds like a lovely place to dump all of my l'esprit d'escalier upon the waiting masses.

Thanks for stopping by and look for some posts coming up with some knock-off Olive Garden recipes and how to make cauliflower palatable. I'll leave you with a picture of some cute cats!

-M.

No comments:

Post a Comment