Thursday, February 28, 2013

Making Cauliflower Delectable

I can't believe I'm even saying this, but I look forward to eating cauliflower now! That's not to say that I want to eat the crap, raw cauliflower off of a vegetable tray, but roasting works some kind of magical spell over this veggie and makes it totally worth eating. The other great part about it is how freaking simple it is. For the plain roasted cauliflower you will need:

Ingredients
  • Head of cauliflower
  • 1-2 T olive oil  (depends on the size of the cauliflower head, just need enough to coat the cauliflower)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Wash the cauliflower head and cut into smaller florets.
  3. Put the florets in a large bowl with the olive oil and toss to coat.
  4. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly spread the cauliflower on it.
  5. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
  6.  Bake for 45 minutes, turning cauliflower every 15 minutes so that they roast evenly.
  7. Take out these little bites of heaven and don't feel bad if you eat them all!
My new favorite version of this is the buffalo cauliflower version. Instead of tossing the florets in olive oil, salt, and pepper, I tossed it with some Frank's red hot sauce. Matt, a guy who wasn't that impressed with the first recipe, is obsessed with the buffalo ones! He was sad that I didn't make the whole head buffalo style. I just bought some more cauliflower, so the next batch will be all buffalo. I only have a before picture because we ate them too quickly for an after photo!

Completely unrelated to cauliflower, I am looking forward to my Kohl's shipment this week. It's delivering my first four Fiesta 5-piece place settings. I just bought a full plate/bowl/serving set two or three years ago, but there are so many chipped pieces already! The last time I was visiting my aunt I was struck by the fact that she has owned the same Fiesta ware for years and she has three children and not one piece has a freaking chip. So, I making the investment. I got a great deal, 4 of the 5-piece place settings for $47! I'll continue to add them when I can get them on sale. Here are the colors I settled on. The ones I originally wanted included lots of ridiculous colors that didn't really go well with one another, but Matt talked me down from the ledge.

Next up on the blog, I share with you my favorite new market to buy fruit and vegetables, shared with me by a dear friend. Happy cooking!

-M.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment